Lotus Flower Tattoo Meanings
Lotus flowers, for both men and women, are too often associated with the East.
Many Asian countries historically have had many views on the symbolism of the lotus flower and many still regard it highly today.
In general, the lotus flower’s most powerful meaning is enlightenment, but the flower can also symbolize faith and peace.
- Lotus Flower Tattoo Meaning: As Enlightened as the Buddha
Lotus flower tattoos most often symbolize enlightenment.
They are also often designed to be symmetrical when they are by themselves, which indicates perfection.
The lotus flower’s meaning is linked to both Buddhism and Hinduism, having a special relation to each religion.
Without being a part of a specific religion, the lotus flower could also relate to enlightenment in general, most likely through some form of spirituality.
This is especially true of lotus flower tattoo designs that are of a pink flower, or an open bud which symbolizes great awareness, openness, or in other words enlightenment.
- Lotus Flower Tattoo Meaning: Belief in One’s God/Gods
Lotus flowers have symbolic meanings for many religions.
Buddhism, Hinduism, and Christianity all share ownership of the lotus flower as far as religious symbolism.
White lotus flowers represent faith in whatever you believe in.
They are able to stay white although the lotus may be in dirty waters, signifying purity of heart and therefore meaning the ability to remain faithful to your beliefs.
It is believed that the noble eightfold path is symbolized by the eighth petal on purple lotus flowers, referring of course to Buddhism.
A purple lotus flower tattoo could be a symbol of your faith in Buddhism.
Alternatively, any lotus flower, but most likely a white one, could symbolize your faith in yourself.
- Lotus Flower Tattoo Meaning: Peace on Earth
All these talks of religion and spirituality no doubt bring up images of peace on earth.
Peace is a general meaning of the lotus flower that is not attached to a specific design.
Lotus flower tattoos can represent that if we all had faith and belief, perhaps there truly would be peace.
A lotus flower tattoo could also refer to your desire for a more peaceful existence.
If you have constantly been at war (literally or metaphorically) and wish for peace of mind you may desire a lotus flower tattoo to bring about that change.
31 Lotus Flower Tattoos To Help You Find Your Zen
Spine Lotus Flower
Spine tattoos are a great idea for lotus flowers, as they allow you to add a lot of delicate detailing. "I love when lotus is centered/focused around our chakra locations such as the heart solar plexus or sacral area. Whether that be front or the back, the center of our torsos is a great placement to embody balance for the lotus," says Randell.
Orange Lotus Flower
According to Ainsworth, minimal, fine line lotus designs seem to be very popular, as well as small micro-realism lotus designs. But hyper-saturated, over-the-top lotus flowers are stunning in their own right. Orange or red ink is a great alternative to basic black if you’re looking to make your tattoo pop.
Realistic Lotus Flower
This lotus tattoo was done in a realistic style, aided by the gradual shading and close details (like the stamens in the middle). The black outlines stand in contrast to the shading, and the petals are drawn in a way that suggests movement.
Triangle and Lotus Flower
If you want to make your lotus flower tattoo feel personalized, add different elements to customize it. This one has a geometric background with vertical lines and circle detailing.
Bold-Lined Lotus Flower
This takes the basic lotus flower tattoo idea and adds a bit of simple flair to make it seem like a more intricate design. The flower is highlighted as the center of the ink, but the decoration makes it feel more designed. "If you decide to go for a symmetrical design, then I would advise picking a fairly symmetrical part of the body: forearm, tricep (above the elbow), back of ankle, sternum, or chest," says Ainsworth.
Ankle Lotus Flower
This tattoo is a minimal design, but the tapered and delicately rounded petals make it feel realistic. The simplicity of the outline makes it pop, and its placement above the ankle would stand out with pants.
Finger Lotus Flower
Prefer a smaller reminder of a lotus flower? This finger tattoo is simple enough not to overwhelm the small space but bold enough to be interesting.
Stemmed Lotus Flower
A lotus flower doesn’t have to float on its own. Utilize negative space in your design by adding a long, slender stem (and a small leaf, if you’d like)—the contrast will instantly make your tattoo feel dainty.
The Egyptian lotus tattoo is based on the Sacred Blue Lotus of the Nile, which is referenced a lot in ancient Egyptian culture. Their petals are a little thinner and more pointed. "Not only are they such a beautiful flower, but they were also seen amongst ancient royalty, in art with deities such as Osiris, and even used in burials," Randell says. Lotus flowers are also said to have some healing powers for certain conditions such as anxiety and insomnia.
Hindu Lotus Flower
This lotus flower design mimics a Hindu design style with the dotted lines and the shape of the petals. This makes sense, considering the lotus flower is related to several Hindu gods, so it’s religiously significant.
Before getting a lotus flower tattoo, you can find out what a lotus design means in different cultures and religions to make sure it’s in keeping with your idea. Even if you’re getting a lotus design for purely aesthetic reasons, it’s still very important to research the design and make sure you’re happy with the style you’re going for.
Elemental Lotus Flower
Align your lotus flower tattoo with the elements by getting their geometric symbols inked around the flora. By keeping the design basic and using the same line thickness for every part of the design, the tattoo feels minimal and chic.
Buddha And Lotus Flower
The lotus flower isn’t just a beautiful thing to look at; in Buddhism, it holds significance as a symbol of purity and beauty. Connect the flower and the religion by getting a small Buddha tattooed right next to the flora.
Thin-Lined Lotus Flower
Lotus flower tattoos can be full of detail, like this design. Although the outlines are thin and light—as if they were drawn with a pencil—the differing opaqueness and petal detailing make this ink feel realistic.
Dotted Lotus Flower
Add some detail to an otherwise simple lotus flower tattoo with simple dots above the design. It adds a bit of interest to simple lines and makes for ink that feels more minimal than basic.
Fingernail Lotus Flower
Love the idea of tattoos but want something a little less permanent? This lotus flower tattoo was inked directly onto the fingernail. It’s an almost painless process and grows out with your nail.
3D Lotus Flower
Give your lotus flower tattoo a realistic look with thin line detailing on the petals and the addition of stamen in the center of the design. The contrasting darkness of different areas also gives the illusion of light on the 2D ink.
Back Of The Arm Lotus Flower
"The tricep (above the elbow) is a popular placement but not just for lotus designs, [for] small tattoos in general," says Ainsworth. A lotus flower tattoo on the back of the arm is meant to be seen outwardly by the world rather than by the person getting the ink, emphasizing its importance to everyone. The overlapping lines and dots add elements of design.
Armband Lotus Flower
Instead of a simple flower, why not incorporate the lotus flower into an armband of sorts? This design uses the entire width of the forearm, making it seem like part of the body. The mirroring of the lotus flower makes it feel balanced as well.
Shaded Lotus Flower
Add color to a lotus flower tattoo with a shaded effect. This design uses just one color (black) , but the lighter hues and simple outlining make it appear almost three-dimension.
Multi-Shade Lotus Flower
Instead of adding a singular color, opt to get outlines done in a darker shade of the hue rather than black. This makes it feel more artistic, as does the additional shading on the petals and below the flower. Or ask your artist to use various shades, for a watercolor effect. "Watercolor is a difficult technique, which you should only trust someone to do if they have lots of experience in this style. Generally, color can take a long time and therefore could be more expensive than other designs with no shading, color, or details," says Ainsworth.
Blackwork Lotus Flower
Want a blackwork lotus flower, but don’t want it to look simple? This ink adds inner lines, light shading, and varying thickness of outlines to give whimsical detail to the larger overall design.
Colorful Lotus Flower
Just because a tattoo is colored in doesn’t mean it can’t have dimension. By using different shades of the same hue, the flower gains a realistic sense of light, dark, and shape. "If you decide to go for a more organic design that looks more like a real lotus, then your artist should be able to make it flow and sit well on almost any placement you choose," says Ainsworth.
Cartoonish Lotus Flower
A small tattoo with a bold black outline and lighter color tends to pop because of its bold appearance. The gradient from dark to light blue gives it a cartoonish but fun effect.
Whimsical Back Lotus Flower
Add a bit of whimsy to a back lotus flower tattoo with swirling details and thick dot shading. The flower feels more cartoony than realistic, and the location makes it intimate.
Geometric Lotus Flower
This lotus flower design takes the flora and breaks it down to its simplest shapes. By creating the flower out of a number of petal-shaped elements that show their intersection, a geometric element is added to the minimal design.
Multi-Style Lotus Flower
Add some angles to your lotus flower by going with a design that blends whimsy with traditional mandala design. Although the petals are inked in their classic shape with a watercolor effect, the lines over the top create the basic shapes of the design.
Delicate Lotus Flower
Using very delicate outlines, this lotus flower tattoo appears delicate, as if touching the ink would crumple the design. The thick petals contrast against the thin stem.
Mulberry is a deep magenta pink and a nice way to get creative over black and red tattoos. This color also matches the vibrant and positive lotus flower symbolism.
Abstract Lotus Flower
Just because the design is of a lotus flower doesn’t mean it has to look realistic. This ink takes the general shape of the flora and translates it into abstract squiggles. The slight white detailing makes it pop and defines the sketch-like vibe of the tattoo.
Chest Lotus Flower
The overlapped petals and the variety of thicker and finer lines make this a unique lotus flower design. "There are an unlimited amount of lotus tattoo variations which can be created," says Ainsworth. "There is no reason to copy another artist’s work or somebody’s personal design."
Cleavage Lotus Flower
The curly line decorations and dots give an artsy vibe to this chest lotus flower tattoo. Although it's a small design, its vertical details make it noticeable.
- State street corporation and enforcement
- Tarot for beginners book
- Aston martin 2011 for sale
- World geography sol practice tests
- Behr low lustre sealer problems
Lotus flower tattoos are a popular choice of design because they combine a great visual effect with symbolic meaning.
Often associated with purity and harmony, lotus flowers are instantly recognizable and closely connected to a number of cultures and religions around the world.
Lotus flower tattoo meaning
Across the ages, the lotus flower has stood for different things across different cultures, including:
- Egyptian culture – ancient Egyptian mythology included the belief that the beginning of life on earth was marked by the blooming of the lotus flower from the sea. Because of this, in Egyptian culture the lotus is a symbol of life’s beginning and reincarnation.
- Chinese culture – probably due to its visual appeal, in Chinese culture the lotus is considered a symbol of pure feminine beauty. In the context of personal relationships, it also represents marital harmony. Seen as an object of perfect beauty, the lotus is understood as a source of inspiration for artists and poets.
- Western culture – drawing on the ancient Egyptians’ idea of the lotus, Western culture sees this flower as a symbol of new beginnings and rebirth. The lotus can also represent divine conception and the search for the true meaning of life.
Although the lotus can be understood in different ways, it’s important to note that in every instance it is a positive symbol.
Spiritual meaning of lotus tattoos
The two religions in which the lotus flower has the highest significance are Hinduism and Buddhism.
In Hinduism, the lotus blossom is one of the key spiritual symbols. Known as Padma, or the ‘Sacred Lotus’, it is a symbol of divine beauty and purity.
Primarily associated with the gods Vishnu, Brahma and Lakshmi, the flower’s opening petals symbolize spiritual awakening and the expansion of the soul.
In Buddhism, the lotus is equally important – Buddhist mythology states that Buddha himself was born from a white lotus.
The eight petals of the lotus represent the Eightfold Path – a core part of the religion. The Eightfold Path is the road taken towards liberation from the cycle of rebirth that Buddhists believe all living beings are a part of.
Another meaning of the lotus in Buddhism is as a symbol of purity of the soul – likely originating from the fact that the flower grows in murky, muddy waters but manages to maintain its purity and beauty.
The color of the lotus as seen by the Buddhist religion can also influence its symbolic meaning.
Color and the meaning of lotus tattoos
As you can see, the lotus has a wide range of symbolic meanings, determined by cultural and religious influences.
You can add another layer of symbolism to your lotus blossom tattoo through color – different-colored lotuses can carry different connotations and have further symbolic significance. For instance:
- Blue lotus – the blue lotus is a symbol of intelligence, wisdom, and knowledge. In religious terms, a blue-colored lotus signifies that a person’s spirituality is stronger than their physical senses – meaning that the strength of your spirit can help you overcome physical temptations. In terms of tattoo designs, blue lotuses are usually tattooed half-closed – as a symbol of the growth of spirit and mind as a continuous, life-long process.
- White lotus – the white lotus is a symbol of enlightenment, both in spiritual and mental contexts. It can also signify perfection, purity, and a calm nature. In Buddhism, the white lotus is referred to as ‘Flower of the Buddhas’.
- Red lotus – also known as the ‘heart lotus’, the red lotus is a symbol of passion, love, and compassion. In contrast to the blue lotus, the red one is usually tattooed in full bloom – further underlining the fullness of passion it’s meant to represent.
- Purple lotus – the purple lotus is a symbol of spirituality as a whole, and again holds particular significance in Buddhist contexts – it is considered to be a sacred flower and the homage of Buddhist deities.
By carefully choosing the color scheme of your lotus flower tattoo, you can create complex and personalized meanings with multiple layers of symbolism.
Lotus tattoo placement
Besides personal preference, the placement of a lotus themed tattoo on the body doesn’t hold universal meaning in itself.
When choosing where to have your lotus tattoo, consider the practical aspects of where your design will fit best and whether you want the tattoo to be on display at all times.
As with all tattoos, the back and the chest are the two areas best suited for large designs that are easily covered up when needed.
One of the advantages of choosing a lotus for your next tattoo is that it can be done in any size – from tiny, simple designs to be placed on the ankle or the wrist to large, more complex tattoos for your back, thigh, or shoulder.
Lotus tattoo design ideas
The possibilities for working a lotus flower into a tattoo design are virtually endless. If you’re stuck for ideas, the gallery below is sure to give you some inspiration. You might also want to consider the following:
- Lotus flower in water – the lotus doesn’t have to be represented as the only element. It’s quite common to see tattoo designs involving a lotus (or several lotuses) in water. This kind of design opens up an opportunity for some great color work, looks great in a number of styles from traditional to watercolor, and can refer to the cultural and religious notions of the pure lotus emerging from murky water.
- Matching lotus designs – as mentioned above, in Chinese culture the lotus can stand for harmony and mutual trust in personal relationships. Matching tattoos for couples involving a lotus flower can therefore hold a symbolic meaning of the strength and closeness of the relationship.
- Tribal lotus design – lotus flowers can be combined with tribal elements for an original design with interesting contrast. Though traditional tribal tattoos are done in black, contemporary designs can include splashes of color – allowing for an even greater level of creativity with this type of tattoo.
The lotus flower is one of the top choices for tattoo designs and is often featured both in traditional and contemporary styles.
It’s easily adapted to any aesthetic, from minimalist to hyper-realistic, watercolor to symmetrical, full of color or entirely black.
The lotus is a highly versatile symbol which holds a lot of significance in itself and can additionally be combined with other elements and further customization to fully reflect the intended personal meaning.
Experiment with different ideas, combine the lotus with other symbols and elements, and make your tattoo truly unique!
Small Lotus Flower Tattoo Designs
The Style Up is a fashion and lifestyle blog that focuses on tattoo art and piercings. The human body is beautiful so let's celebrate it!
Lotus flower tattoo designs have a deep meaning. They not only represent beauty and grace but also represent hardship and struggles. A lotus blooms in mud thus showing that we can find good even in evil. Buddhism and Hinduism give a lot of preference to the flowers of lotus.
Whether you want a lotus flower tattoo due to spiritual reason or just because you find them attractive, I would always suggest trying a simple version. Here we picked 50 best lotus flower tattoos designs for men and women –
blue lotus tattoo
1. Many Indian gods are seen holding lotus flower in their hand. You can try a tattoo of Indian gods with a lotus flower in their hands.
white lotus tattoo
red lotus tattoo
flower tattoo outline
purple lotus tattoo
tiger lotus tattoo
2. One perfect place to try tattoo of lotus is right on the mid-section of the stomach like this.
3. Some artist ink lotus tattoos in the style of mandala. Here is one design that pays homage to the mandala tattoos on thigh.
4. Small and simple Lotus flower tattoos have their own elegance and charm. You can try such designs on wrist or neck.
5. I bet you will fall in love with a lotus watercolor tattoo due to its beauty. In fact, every watercolor flower tattoo is amazing.
6. Ancient Egyptians considered lotus to be the first flower of the universe. So if you try an ancient Egyptian style lotus outline tattoo then it would be a cool idea too.
7. In my opinion lotus drawing tattoos turn out to be way cooler than colorful lotus tattoos.
8. Geometrical lotus tattoos are also unique designs. But For this you have to opt for the outline version.
9. As Lotus plays an important role in Indian culture, so it would be impressive to try a lotus tiny tattoo in Indian rangoli style.
10. You can try a lotus sleeve tattoo as well but for this, you either have to add another flower or a bunch of more lotus tattoos.
11. People often search for Japanese lotus tattoo designs but what they don’t know is that it is incomplete without a koi fish tattoo. This is because both Lotus flower and koi fish represent hardship.
12. If you are looking for a small lotus tattoos then here is a creative idea – Try it on heels like this. It is said that lotus gives the power to fly (Acc. To Hinduism).
13. Can you find any better lotus arm tattoo design then this? I loved this design so much.
14. Placement can really make your lotus henna tattoo awesome. For example this extra ordinary lotus tattoo is made even better by inking It on middle of back.
15. Buddhism too gives a lot of importance to the lotus. Here is a tattoo design where Buddha is shown sitting on Lotus flower (Just like Lord Vishnu).
16. Here is another lotus Japanese tattoo where the artist added two koi fishes around the collar bone and the flower on the middle of the chest.
17. You can wear a lotus geometric tattoo just like jewellery. For example the girl here is wearing it like an anklet.
18. This lotus neo-traditional tattoo on back of this girl is actually hard to do. Only experienced artist can pull off such design.
19. As Lotus represent struggles, so a cool idea would be to add a motivational quote like this.
20. Both lotus and feather are considered very light in weight. Trying them both in one design (around the neck) would represent that you are lifting yourself above from desires.
21. As Lotus is most frequently mentioned flower in Hindu vedas, so a good idea would be to ink some hindu symbols along with it.
22. Simple lotus tattoos also have deep meaning. They represent that you seek the truth of this world and do not find yourself caught up in the non-sense affairs.
23. This is one of the most perfectly placed lotus rib cage tattoo that you will ever see.
24. Showing a blooming lotus with pollen grain in middle will represent that you have finally found victory over your struggles.
25. As Lotus rises in mud, so one thing you can do is showing a blooming lotus flower in your tattoo design.
26. Here Bodhi style lotus black and white tattoo where the artist tried to represent self-awareness.
27. This traditional chandelier style lotus tattoo is actually inked to denote the spirituality of the person.
28. If you show the petals of lotus in all directions like this then this means that you believe in equality and love everyone.
29. This lotus half sleeve tattoo is inspired from the famous lotus flower of Lord Vishnu.
30. An Indian lotus design like this will denote that you believe in simplicity and you know your roots.
31. A cool idea would be to show spiral around the lotus flower to denote the whole universe.
32. Traditional lotus tattoos will also look amazing.
33. Adding two circles around your tattoo design will show that you want to connect yourself to the world on a spiritual level.
34. Here is a lotus symmetrical tattoo design where the artist showed a good work of black and grey color.
35. Most people don’t think out of the box. If you want a unique and different design then try this foot tattoo.
36. This is lotus mehndi tattoo design. it is common to try henna tattoos in Indian sub-continent.
37. Look at this lotus henna tattoo which will surely fade away but will gain a lot of love and affection.
38. If you place a tattoo on your back then it will represent your ideology where you consider that god accept you the way you are.
39. A beautiful picture of tattoo of lotus flower that shows the impressive white ink work too.
40. This can be tried as a cover up tattoo design.
41. Instead of trying lotus tattoo in traditional color why not show it in your favourite color.
42. 3d lotus tattoos are rarely tried but they can be a sight to see.
43. Here it shows a yin and yang style flower tattoo. The artist used pink and black ink gracefully.
44. This lotus is simple and tiny tattoo on wrist.It is one of the most common design.
45. Here is another lotus flower small tattoo on side wrist which can be hid whenever wished.
46. Lotus mandala tattoo are adorable but can you try them in small size? Yes.
47. A detailed lotus tribal tattoo design will surely look great on back.
48. Are those musical notes added with the lotus tattoo?
49. This splash of lotus in tattoo style will surely look unrecognizable in few weeks.
Lotus Flower Tattoo Designs
50. A lotus white ink tattoo is cool idea if you are trying a minimal tattoo design.
So which lotus flower tattoos from the above photo gallery you liked the most?
Flower purple tattoo lotus
The lotus flower tattoo is undoubtedly one of the most fabulous floral tats out there. Apart from the fact that lotus remains unstained although it grows in mud, it also symbolises a variety of other things. It is even closely related to spirituality in several religions. No wonder, why a considerable number of body art lovers are interested in knowing the Lotus flower tattoo meaning. Below, we’ve come up with the symbolic meaning and explanations of different lotus flower designs and their association with different cultures and religions.
Lotus flower tattoo meaning in different cultures & religions
In Hinduism, the lotus flower tattoo is a symbol of purity and divine beauty. The sacred lotus has deep links with Hindu gods Brahma and Vishnu; therefore, people who believe in Hinduism love to get lotus tattooed on their bodies.
According to Buddhist mythology, a pink lotus reflects fidelity to the supreme, while a purple lotus signifies mysticism and has strong ties with the eightfold path. The red lotus is a symbol of love and passion.
Another nice idea: 20 Hand Tattoo Ideas With Pictures
The Egyptian cultures see lotus flower tattoo as the origination of life and rebirth. The basis of their belief is that it was the blossom of the spiritual lotus flower from the sea that marked the beginning of life on earth.
In Chinese cultures, the divine beauty of lotus has always been a muse for poets and artists. The lotus emblematizes feminine beauty and marital bliss.
In Western cultures, the lotus flower is linked with the search for the real meaning of life. It signifies reincarnation and divine conception.
Lotus flower tattoo meaning by different colours
In case you are still not able to fully understand the meaning of the lotus tattoo, here is a more lucid explanation of what each colour lotus tattoo tries to portray:
The White tattoo is a symbol of a person’s spiritual and mental enlightenment. It depicts calmness, purity, and perfection in one’s behaviour.
The half-open lotus flower tattoo meaning has links with the belief that the growth of one’s soul and mind never ends. It also reflects that a person can easily overcome worldly temptations through spirituality. The lotus flower tattooalso symbolises wisdom and knowledge.
The purple lotus has deep ties with Buddhist mythology. It represents spirituality, mysticism, and the eightfold path.
A good read: Wrist Tattoo Design Ideas: Stars, Hearts and Words
The full-bloomed red lotus is a symbol of heart which depicts love, passion, purity, kindness, and enthusiasm. There is a belief that just like an open red lotus, one’s soul should always remain open.
Source of images: Pinterest.com
The pink lotus is believed to have the highest position because it represents the ultimate Buddha itself. One can see the reflection of Buddhism or Dharma as a whole through the divine pink lotus.
You should know: 3 Things To Consider Before You Start Looking For A Tattoo Artist
A lotus tattoo isn’t just a gorgeous design; it has a unique meaning to each of its variations. Depending on the colour and religious beliefs, this unique lotus flower tattoo can reflect anything from wisdom and intelligence to lordliness to the purity of the soul.
I began to suck on him, the rest of the guards went to the huge bed and slowly began to undress. When everyone was undressed, the elder lifted me up and led me to the bed, one of the guards lay down on his back across the. Bed, and they sat me down on his penis, two came up on the sides and shoved their dicks into my hands to jerk off, the elder, also undressed, came up in front and continued fuck in the mouth.
- Oculus quest 2 accessories
- Cabins in port angeles
- 2020 tesla model 3 sunshade
- Brown leather cruiser bike seat
- Ultra instinct xenoverse 2
- Steven universe art style
- Horse 4 pics 1 word
To another, I stopped in one of the villages, picturesquely scattered along our path. Rather, the driver, having made a small detour, dropped in to see his relatives. The passenger, that is, I, was in a relaxed state in anticipation of a short three-day vacation after two weeks of sitting in this corner.
Although the nature here was lovely, the greenery vibrated in emerald waves under the gusts of wind, and people are wonderful in their simplicity, I.